“Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.” - Luke 3:11
Pabama: (Rhymes with Alabama) Def: A feeling that there is more. A desire to make a difference, to be the hands and feet of Jesus. Not willing to accept the current state of the world, and not wishing to point any fingers. The burning desire to improve, to fall and fail, to be picked up and try again. To prepare ourselves for eternity. To stand triumphant one day, only through Jesus, and hear, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Africa's Child (story)

For those of you interested in the story of the store – Africa’s Child (this is a very bare-bones effort of telling the story.  MUCH more info can be found at www.africaschild.info, as well as some of the blogs linked on that website):

Rob and Christa Murphy and family have been missionaries in Zambia, Africa for some time now.  Along with their 6 children, they have reached out to many individuals in many different ways.  Rob is a pastor and speaker, while wife Christa is a medical doctor and has been working with individuals with AIDS, among other things.  In their time in Zambia, they have raised enough money to purchase a sizeable piece of land, build a hospital, and assist financially with other clinics and orphanages in the surrounding villages.  Again, these details are sketchy, and perhaps someday, I will get the information accurate.

I do know that part of their vision was to do everything debt free, which they have done in Africa.  Also, they had the dream to open a second-hand thrift store here in the States to fund their efforts and so they would not need to continue asking people and churches for assistance.  So they opened “Africa’s Child” in Holland, located next to Goodwill on Lakeshore Drive.  As I understand it, the “big picture” vision includes building 19 more stores like this one in Holland, including the new store in Grand Rapids that opens on February 1st.  In addition to these 20 total stores, each one will be sort of connected to 5 “boutiques”, each specializing in a particular area – tools, kids’ stuff, etc.  Yes, 20 x 5 = 100 stores in all!  “With God, all things are possible!”  (Matthew 19:26).

The story took an extremely difficult turn last spring.  While playing in Zambia, the Murphy’s 10 year old daughter Christianna collapsed and unexpectedly passed away.  This impacted the Murphys in ways I cannot imagine, and refuse to even think about personally.  “The devil roars around like a prowling lion”   (1 Peter 5:8).

Rob and Christa have remained in the U.S. continuing to try to discern God’s next plans for their lives, while keeping in touch with Zambia and keeping all doors open.  They have also been very involved with the new store opening in Grand Rapids.  Please continue to lift this family up in your prayers, knowing that God is not finished with them, but also knowing that they no doubtedly continue to try to work through the grieving process and search for answers to extremely difficult questions.

I have not read everything on the blogs, but the following post did catch my attention and put things into perspective (yes, I hugged my kids extra tight tonight):


On November 6, 2011, Christianna was baptized by her father.  We recently came across her written testimony she gave at the service.  Another time we are so thankful for God's Spirit at work in her heart!

"I came to know Jesus when I was in first grade and my mom read Bible stories and I wanted to read more and more.  As I got older i wanted to start my own devotions.  Now every morning for 15 minutes before breakfast I spend my own time reading the Bible.

One day I accepted Christ and I felt more joyful and happy and it was easier to be loving and kind to others.  Now I share Christ when my family goes to Zambia and even while we're here and I get to share about our mission to help children with HIV.  I often hold the babies and sing "Jesus Loves Me" to calm them down or feed them when no one is able to.

One day after devotions I started asking to be baptized.  It is important because Jesus was baptized, as a symbol of our sins being washed away.

I love Jesus with all my heart and I want to follow Him more each day." --- Christianna Joy Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment