John 17:17-23
New International Version (NIV)
17 Sanctify them by[a] the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.
Jesus Prays for All Believers
20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.Footnotes:
The Quest Bible ask these questions that further tell what is "Pabama" to me:
How does God sanctify those who follow Jesus? (17: 17-19)
When Jesus prayed that believers would be sanctified, he was praying that they would be set apart and made righteous by the word of God. In one sense that has already happened: believers are made righteous the moment they place their faith in Jesus. In another sense, however, they enter the "process" of sanctification, growing in obedience and holiness.
What's the connection between unity and evangelism? (17: 21-23)
Jesus wants all believers to be united in love and grace, just as the Father and Son are one. God desires for the world to see tangible expressions of this unity. As Christians demonstrate God's love in concrete ways, people will encounter God's revelation that Jesus is the ultimate expression of God's love.
In final thought here:
Father and Son are one, and Pabama we are joined as one! Glory be to God!
1 comment:
Herm, what has really been heavy on my heart lately is: 'God desires for the world to see tangible expressions of this unity. As Christians demonstrate God's love in concrete ways ....'. If I truly understood today, Easter, 'tangible expressions' and 'concrete ways' would come much more naturally, and be a much larger part of my life. So while Easter is extremely joyful, otherwise we would have nothing. It is also very humbling as we understand what has really been done for us ..... Thanks Herm!
Post a Comment