“Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.” - Luke 3:11
Pabama: (Rhymes with Alabama) Def: A feeling that there is more. A desire to make a difference, to be the hands and feet of Jesus. Not willing to accept the current state of the world, and not wishing to point any fingers. The burning desire to improve, to fall and fail, to be picked up and try again. To prepare ourselves for eternity. To stand triumphant one day, only through Jesus, and hear, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What's your Tune?




I'd like to assemble a playlist and then a CD of "Pabama-ish" songs. This would be in addition to the classic CD with multiple versions of the classic A-Team Television Theme. (the wife does get a little tired of that one; sometimes....). This new CD would be songs that reflect our goal and or "man-ing up" to our responsibilities. I have a few songs already; but I'd like this to be a collection of music that comes from several different people. The songs can be secular or Christian, vocal or instrumental. They don't have to be a 100% perfect fit;
Any suggestions?

19 comments:

Dyk said...

Eye of the Tiger

Cheese said...

There's a cool older mostly instrumental Peter Gabriel song I use to play while stretching before running (yes; I use to run...). The song is: Rhythm of the Heat from his 4th album; which the record company titled Security.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_rhythm_of_the_Heat
Anybody ever hear it? He re-recorded it on his recent orchestral CD but the original version still pumps me up! Drums, Drums!!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget "To Hell with the Devil" by Stryper.

Jimbelaya said...

James Bond theme & Mission: Impossible theme (for Pabama runs)
Dive (Steven Curtis Chapman)
Hands and Feet (Audio Adrenaline)
Till the Day I Die (Third Day)
I'm a Soldier & Kickin' It Old School (Go Fish)

Jimbelaya said...

BTW, whew, I finally figured out how to post. This is me, Baker. Jimbelaya (jim-bel-EYE-uh) = college roommate's nickname for me.
Also......
Funky Jesus Music (TobyMac)
and maybe Who Let the Dogs Out?? :)

Jimbelaya said...

More from the Baker family....
Let Us Love (NeedToBreathe)
One Thing (Finger Eleven)
..... and I'm sure your friendly neighborhood music teacher will post more as he thinks of them. Speaking of Musicians, Derek and "PhatB" Walker need to post something here!

Cheese said...

yeah...
where are Derek and Walker?
I thought they'd be the next to post (right after Dyk oh course)...
Maybe they're Really thinking...

Third Shifter said...

Okay....
I love everything that's been posted so far!
I'm a big Rocky and Go Fish fan!
But you know it's Panama if we start playing "Who Let the Dogs Out!"
Cheese, if you like instrumental how about the themes to "the Lone Ranger" and "Superman"? Two of my favorites also.

Dyk said...

Sanctus Real - Lead Me
Panama by VanHalen, with Cheese dubbing in 'Pabama' for 'Panama'

Chris Walker said...

I haven't posted anything 'cause I'm not really manly. I'd be offering up a bunch of wussy indie rock songs that are in touch with their emotions. :)

I wonder how Andrew Bird would sit in a playlist next to "Eye of the Tiger"....."

:)

Jimbelaya said...

We can be manly and have emotions. To quote The Brilliance: "We're gonna soft rock your faces off!"

Jimbelaya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky Baker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jimbelaya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dyk said...

Hmm . . . previewed Andrew Bird on I-tunes. I really appreciate his Muppets work, and I liked some of his other songs. But it left we wondering . . . who ever coined the term Indie 'Rock'? Is it because of the simple unsyncopated rhythms in a 4/4 meter, with a repetitive snare drum back beat on beats two and four?

Dyk said...

Matt Maher - Christ Has Risen

Jimbelaya said...

Hoyl Moly, Dyk the Music Geek! I had to double-take on that last sentence. By the way, if you want to get technical, Rock can be syncopated a bit -- just not swung, like Jazz usually is. :)

Sternberg said...

DC Talk's Jesus Freak is my favoritist.

Cheese said...

"Indie Rock"
The origins of the phrase goes back to to us Music Retailers (retired) classification. When a music retailer would purchase music for their inventory; there were groups/bands/artists music that were signed to major record labels; and the retailer would purchase directly from the major labels (Sony; CBS,Columbia, WEA: Warner, Electra, Atlantic and so on) and then there were the independents. This tended to be bands or artists that hadn't gotten a "major deal" or wanted more control over their music/marketing/distribution and hooked up with either a very very small label or started their own. This was long before ripping, burning and downloading music. I remember certain staff longed for the days that smaller shipments of indy stuff would arrive because it was usually bands I'd researched or been promoted to me that I knew would match a local trend or desire. There was this counter culture attitude (possibly from all the music artists who were spurnned from getting their own deal who exclusively browsed and purchased music NOT on a major label. Some where along the road of time (probably during one of those lulls between music movements) there were enough people listening to independent label music, searching independant labels to find the next big thing or just to escape Top 40 that the term became an adjective for a artist's music style; rather than it's distribution.
There you go; more than you wanted to know...
MTYWTK ?!

Post a Comment