I have been "challenged" by Mr. Dyk to include more pictures / info from my trip to Honduras. The goal is to show you what we did, but also to pass along God's "Holy nudge". Please prayerfully consider joining us next August as we complete some basic construction, see God's beautiful creation of LaUnion, Honduras, and reunite with our Honduras family.
This first post is about our traveling down there. Much safer than I had anticipated, and very "doable", in case you are interested (hint hint). :)
Meeting at the G.R. airport at 4:15 am was our first big challenge (especially when traveling with about 30 teenagers). A great group of kids who worked hard and never complained (although motion sickness hit a couple hard on the bus ride, but no puking!).

Getting everyone set with plane tickets wasn't that tough, although you would never know it by looking at Walker's face.
Waiting in line at Customs in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. It was there that I first really did miss my kids as I saw 2 little Honduran girls about the same age as my daughters running around.
Another "Walker, Honduran Ranger" shot. At the airport, we dropped off the luggage and headed over for our first taste of Honduran cuisine. (Got to say, eating the food down there did make me nervous). But believe it or not, the first food we ate was...... Wendy's! (except no water, ice in your pop, tomatoes or lettuce that may have been washed in the water). Get used to that feeling - no water. But we always had plenty of clean water brought in to drink.
Felt very safe, right from the start. Behind Sam's excited face you can see the 5 or 6 National Police officers that were assigned to escort us from the airport to La Union (a five hour drive). We likely did not really need it, but it was cool to see the truck behind us the entire way with guys with machine guns in the back.

At a stopping point on our trip.
They even stopped to get gas.
A pretty uneventful bus ride to La Union. About 2 hours of paved roads, and then 2 1/2 hours on dirt roads through the mountains. It was on this trip that I first realized I am not in control! That was a great reminder for me the entire week, and back at home. There are many things that I cannot control, so I should leave it to God.
This picture is a typical village we passed through.
Again, the trip down to La Union, Honduras had some great memories, but I was ready to get going. I will share more about the water filters and the village of La Union next time.






1 comment:
Sternberg rules! Everyone else drools!
Post a Comment