“Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.” - Luke 3:11
Pabama: (Rhymes with Alabama) Def: A feeling that there is more. A desire to make a difference, to be the hands and feet of Jesus. Not willing to accept the current state of the world, and not wishing to point any fingers. The burning desire to improve, to fall and fail, to be picked up and try again. To prepare ourselves for eternity. To stand triumphant one day, only through Jesus, and hear, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

Saturday, December 15, 2012

A "Grand" Run

In November the Lord used us to help a large number of families with over thirty large turkey dinners with all the "fixin's"  but that generosity left us a negative balance in our "kitty".   This month; I originally felt the call to do more than just a meal but provide food "staples" for families,  even if it meant a smaller number of families.  With  a little research it became apparent very fast that the struggling economy had increased the number of
families in need.  In years past an outside business has donated hams for distribution but this year; they were cutting back and not donating.  We were on our own.    
I talked among the group;  several of them privately confessed they were struggling too...   
I prayed, 
I crunched some numbers, and I started to get pressure to decide on the number of families.   I sent an e-mail;  only five men answered.  Being new at this Run Leader thing;  I didn't know if that was good or bad;  we've got a large e-mail list.    I did the natural thing;   I started to worry...  ("You of little faith, why are you so worried" Matthew 8:26.).


Then... It started on Sunday;  

One person said they couldn't make it Thursday but wanted to support the run gave me an envelope. Two other people also gave me sealed unmarked envelopes.  I can't even remember who all three were;  but when I opened the envelopes one had two hundred dollars inside...  
Monday I original requested a list of 12-15 names.  I got fifteen.  Then an e-mail;  one more name, then another e-mail;  one more family.  
Thursday afternoon: a third e-mail; "is it too late to add just one more family?
OK God;  I get it (finally). I'm stepping out of the way...

Thursday night rolls around and we're waiting to start shopping; and Pabama men just keep walking in;  I think there were at least ten of us.  We prayed, passed the new pouch for the kitty and started shopping.  I thought before we get too far I should could the cash;  $980.00 and one $50 gift card!  No sooner did I share the amount and someone was handing me another $20.00;  "it just didn't sound right!"  Boy, did we shop!  You know;  you learn a lot about a person when you shop with them...
What people like, what they eat, products they use...  which made the decision making process a lot of fun.  Some of the items in each delivery were
Hams, Green beans, Dinner Rolls, Rice, Loaf of bread, Peanut Butter, Apple sauce, Jelly, Tuna, Tuna Helper, Christmas cookies, Oatmeal, (2) Meijer grocery totes each, a huge bundle of Toilet Paper and on and on...
Eight Grocery Carts!
The sales receipt was nine feel long!

(Not everyone is in the picture above) but with a larger group we had four drivers and by 10:15 we were all done and some were already home! 
But it wasn't just a ham happening.
For the second month in a row;  we were helped by a Meijer cashier who we had helped in the fall.  She was still struggling.  One Knight without prompting quietly offered and paid to extend her temporary hotel lodging for an additional week!  That's Pabama.  Wow! 
God is so Good,  he know's what he's doing.
I've got a lot to learn on this faith thing...


2 comments:

Dyk said...

Cheese, well done. Everyone, awesome work. It is amazing how much fun it can be to serve God, under the cover of darkness. The darkness weighs on me, thank you for shining the Light!

kclausing said...

thank you for letting me be apart of the "event" -

Post a Comment