In Luke 4, just after Jesus was tempted, he returns to his hometown. He goes to the synagogue and reads from a scroll. Our sermon recently made me realize how this is really his Mission Statement, he is just beginning his ministry and here he announces what it's all about.
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the
prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor. - Luke 4:18-19
If this was Jesus' Mission, which of course is God's Mission . . . and now he has left the Holy Spirit for me to continue the Mission . . . how much time do I spend working on the Mission? How much time do I spend working on things other than the Mission?
(A phrase I repeat often lately to my daughters has popped into my head: 'Don't be sorry, act sorry.')
No comments:
Post a Comment