Richard Stearns on his book 'Unfinished'
Many people see Christianity facing irrelevance in our society. How should Christians respond? Try to stay relevant by having short, peppy sermons and coffee bars in church, or offering advice on living nice, comfortable lives? I think a better response is to call the church back to Jesus' mission. We are to bring the whole gospel into the whole world, demonstrating a new, revolutionary way to live under God's rule - living out the kingdom values of love, grace, compassion, mercy and justice.
A couple of years ago, I was plagued by a question that I had never heard my pastor ask, much less answer: Why did Jesus leave? It seemed to me that having died for our sins and conquered death, he could have fully ushered in his kingdom then and there.
I found the key to the answer in Jesus' words "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." Matthew 24:14
No comments:
Post a Comment