It's over! Krazy & I made it! It was by far the hardest thing I have ever done.I finished in 4:45, well under my hoped for finish time (Krazy was around 4:10). I was disappointed, but, if it's really not about me, then this should not matter, since World Vision raised:
$1.3 million and 26,000 people have clean water for life - all
from some crazy people running the Chicago Marathon. Pabama!!!
Some random notes:
- Rudy finished 10 min ahead of me, so he probably passed me. I wish I would have known, I could have chanted 'Rudy, Rudy, Rudy'
- The Marathon: 12,000 volunteers, a jet fighter fly-over and 1.7 million people wildly cheered us on. Other than the searing pain it was a lot like a party!
- When you run a marathon they recommend putting your name on your shirt. The 1.7 million people will then yell your name and motivate you. I heard 'Krazy' yelled more times than I could count . . . But since we weren't in West Michigan, I didn't hear my name so much. I did hear 'D-Y-K' spelled out, and when I was running next to Krazy I heard: 'Go Krazy Dick' ..... I may have to rethink which name I put on the shirt if I am leaving the West Michigan bubble . . . .
- MegaBus rules!
- The top finishers (4 Kenyans, and then an American) finish in just over 2 hours. That's a pace of 4:45 minutes/mile for 26 miles . . . almost unbelievable.
- You can do more than you think.
- To be part of the effort that raised money for water to benefit 26,000 girls, boys, moms, dads .... was simply incredible. These are real people, and God loves them so much. How would you like to get water from this for your child?


No comments:
Post a Comment