“Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.” - Luke 3:11
Pabama: (Rhymes with Alabama) Def: A feeling that there is more. A desire to make a difference, to be the hands and feet of Jesus. Not willing to accept the current state of the world, and not wishing to point any fingers. The burning desire to improve, to fall and fail, to be picked up and try again. To prepare ourselves for eternity. To stand triumphant one day, only through Jesus, and hear, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Honduras #2 - "La Union"

Well, it has been a little while since I last posted on the first part of the Honduras trip - mainly because I lost the flash drive where I have my pictures.  Luckily, I have some on Facebook that I can still use.

After the 4 1/2 hour bus ride, we arrived at the beautiful compound in the middle of La Union.  However, it was dark, so we could not see much.  That made the next morning quite glorious.  What a great way to wake up!

Basketball / soccer courts in the compound were kept busy by both our kids and many kids from the village.  For the record, Hondurans are VERY good at soccer.  About 6 10-15 year olds whipped our high schoolers 12-0 in about 10 minutes.


A very nice, green area in the mountains.  You can see the dorms where the kids slept to the right in this picture.  Very accommodating!




  Loved the scenery.  God's creation is unbelievable!





Right outside the compound, however, life was a little different.   The roads were not the quality we enjoy in the U.S.  The brown building in the picture was a little store, where we bought the best Coca-Colas ever.  We did avoid the hanging chickens, however.

Our kids did a great job of bonding with the children of the village.  They had a Bible school going on in the compound, and our kids had some crafts that we had brought along for the children.  Just like seagulls at the beach, the children flocked around our kids when they opened their bags.  Great memories.

The first house that I installed a water filter in (in the middle of the picture).  Others took pictures of the people too, but I didn't get many, unfortunately.  However, I did write down their stories, and will always remember fondly the tearful reactions to our kindness.  To God be the glory!

A view from the second house we put a filter in.  Incredible.  No words can describe the view.  We also spent some time moving dirt at the private Vida Abundante school.  They are adding on a classroom for their 11th graders.  I took this picture to show my 6th grade students how lucky they are.  I have a feeling it will not impact them the same way it did me.
Anyone recognize these 2?  Pabama Knights worldwide.
The 2 guys on the ground in Honduras.  They are actually paid employees who will continue to run the day-to-day operations of the water filters in La Union.  Ellan, on the right, was the go-to guy I got to know quite well.  And, by the miracle of Facebook, has let me know that things continue to go well down there.  They have installed nearly 150 filters, and are loving it.

I will update again on the trip to Tegucigalpa, where radical relationships were formed.  But for now, I will leave you with a challenge:  Honduras August 2013.  Pray about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment