Yup, tonight I say down and changed my direction. I want to be rich. It only took 1 item to change my mind: The World Vision 2012 Christmas Gift Catalog.
I started paging through it and I dreamed, and dreamed. I dreamed of #1051, 5 ducks for only $30! (Ducks lay eggs, and if you haven't checked they [the ducks] float. A huge plus in Bangladesh where they constantly lose their chickens to flooding). Wait, I'm rich, so it's #1435 for 10 ducks!
What about #0669, for only $40 I can outfit an entire family with a fishing kit. Why Toe Dip? For only $200 I can get #0649 - 'Dig and stock a fish
pond and feed an entire community'. (My Verizon contract is up, I could get the latest smart phone for $200, or feed an ENTIRE community.)
I could splurge ... and spend a whopping $70 - #0139 a YEAR of school for an orphan.
or maybe I could afford #1859 - $50 to ship and deliver a wheelchair, for someone that is the lowest of the low.
And I can really leverage the 'multiplying gifts' and get #0415, with $500 I help to provide $6,000 in winter clothes and shoes!
I would skip right over #1777 - Mosquito bed nets for a family, and head right to #1773, Mosquito bed nets for a village - $1,080. (You can't have the rest of the village mad at that one family!)
This would rock! In your face devil! You pile of garbage!
#0717 - $350 to help sexually exploited girls
#1083 - $2,950 for a home for a single mother and children.
#1721 - $160 for 10 rabbits (In 1 year you have 260 rabbits!)
#0169 - $13,700 - Deep well, years of safe water for 300 people
#0177 - $2,600 - Traditional well
#0141 - $5,100 - Home for orphaned children
#0269 - $22,000 - Build a school
#0235 - $39,000 - Build & stock a health clinic
If I had the money, I would do it in a second, how awesome, how fulfilling, how exhilarating! I would cackle as I saw the devil losing battles over exploited children, orphans, single moms, families!
But, I don't have the money. And, I have learned, God is not calling me to be rich. I don't have the ability to put forth the effort to earn the money, but then somehow still pull up and treat it as Gods.
But, our God isn't limited by cash, he's 'limited' by our inactions . . . . (It's kind of like the 'jerk store', he's out of you!)
In the catalog it talks about a mother and son. He's adopted from Kazakhstan, and looking through the catalog, he sees a Mongolian ger and furnishings for $1,862 and declares he will buy one for people from his part of the world. His mom doesn't know how to explain to a 10 yr. old that $1,862 is a lot of money, so she doesn't. He raised it all.
'The God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister' - Bono
For being in-dwelled by the Spirit I dream and act way to small. If I was God, I would kick my ass. Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound.

2 comments:
Ahh Mr. Dyk sometimes you just nail it! Oh my... It got to be with each paragraph I'm going "YEAH!" out loud or pumping my fist (which is dangerous with the monitor so close!). You hit so many points to ponder, and then I've Always loved that quote of Bono... The other one of his "Am I bugging you? I don't mean to Bug you...".
Very very well put!!
Post a Comment