“Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.” - Luke 3:11
Pabama: (Rhymes with Alabama) Def: A feeling that there is more. A desire to make a difference, to be the hands and feet of Jesus. Not willing to accept the current state of the world, and not wishing to point any fingers. The burning desire to improve, to fall and fail, to be picked up and try again. To prepare ourselves for eternity. To stand triumphant one day, only through Jesus, and hear, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Man Up..... What?

Ok, so last night I was sitting with my wife and a new show comes on the TV. It's called oddly enough..."Man Up". My curiosity is peeked... The show starts with 3 men playing a video game late at night across the internet. Each of them at their own homes. In this scene one of them is shouting "I am the man!" and then his wife yells to him to be quiet. Later this same guy is in the kitchen talking about how he wants to get his son a gift that says "you are a man now". He says that this will be a gift from one man to another. His wife then says that his grandfather was a man and his dad was a man but that he is just "man-ish". Another of the men is obsessed with his ex-girlfriend and keeps calling her over and over again. After crashing into her wedding with his guitar the three end up backing down from a fight with all of the groomsmen while one of them is holding a pink girls toy as a weapon. I thought that there may be a nice moment in the end when the dad ends up giving his son his pocket knife in a cool father-son moment but it was followed by his wife telling him what a dumb idea it was and then the son of course cuts himself on the knife.

Was it funny..... sure! but under all of that humor there is a strong message to our wives and kids. These three passive blundering men remind me of the way that most husbands and fathers are portraited in TV and movies today. Our kids are watching this and seeing what has become the norm. The strong confident female role leading the weak passive male around by the ear and bailing him out of all of his mistakes.

It just re-enforces for me all of the principles from Courageous and the need for men to step forward and lead our families. We need to set the example in our own homes and model the relationship with God that we want our kids to develop.

What do you think?

Oh.. and just to clarify.... strong confident woman Rock! I am so glad that I have one in my life that loves the Lord....

2 comments:

Chad said...

You know, I saw the ad for that show and thought some of the same things! Well, there is an opportunity to share good principals but I figured it wouldn't go down that road. Not in today's world. Just another "Raymond" show I guess. "Funny" is all that matters on TV anymore. Something I heard lately that did surprise me though...the Playboy Club show was cancelled after something like 2 episodes. whew.... Men, we have our work cut out for us.....back to the notebooks ;)

Dyk said...

'Where are you Men of Courage!?' - I need you to help me. Only God can help me be this example to my kids that Steve references. So, I need some 'men on the ground' to make sure I am following God. Not 'saying' I am following him, but acting like I am.

Thanks Steve!

Post a Comment