One story that I never really cared for in the Bible (probably cause I don't get it) is the story of Jesus calming the storm in the boat. Sure, it is a nice story - the disciples are terrified of the storm. Jesus comes over, shuts it up, and chews out the guys for not realizing that God is in control.
Ah, what a nice parallel to my life. Life gets a little (or a lot) stormy. I doubt God's power. He reminds me that He will take care of me, likely upset that my faith is not deeper.
But here is my question - why is Jesus sleeping in the boat in the first place? Why, in life, does it seem like He is just sitting back waiting? To strengthen our faith? Maybe. But I just don't like the idea of Jesus taking a nap while we struggle with things.
It has just always seemed weird to me.
It is well, with my soul.
Praying for our brothers and sisters going through storms right now.


3 comments:
Well put Sternberg. It is a tension in life wrestle with constantly.
Love the thoughts Sternberg! Occasionally at the times we think we need God the most, He seems "checked out". Though I'd bet that the situation(s) looks completely different to Him than they do to us....
Very good post Sternberg. It is always a struggle when God doesn't just solve our problems, or the world's problems. You raise a good question, part of the answer is probably free will. I have also heard somewhere, someone talking about how our experiences here are preparing us for 'work' in heaven .... So from our perspective he is sleeping, but he is still in our boat, and he comes through before we sink. That life house video/skit is a good example ....
Post a Comment