“Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.” - Luke 3:11
Pabama: (Rhymes with Alabama) Def: A feeling that there is more. A desire to make a difference, to be the hands and feet of Jesus. Not willing to accept the current state of the world, and not wishing to point any fingers. The burning desire to improve, to fall and fail, to be picked up and try again. To prepare ourselves for eternity. To stand triumphant one day, only through Jesus, and hear, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Favorite Bible passage


I read my favorite Bible passage today for my devotional time, and it got me thinking.  First of all, it is the story of Elijah daring the prophets of Baal and Asherah to a duel of fire.  You know the story:  Elijah dares these prophets to set up an altar to their god and call down for it the altar to start on fire.  Of course, they dance around all day and nothing happens.  Elijah then douses his altar with water and prays to God who then burns the entire thing.

I think my favorite part of the story, though, is not the fact that he proves God is the one and only God, but the fact that Elijah is taunting the entire time!  I love how he does things.  First, he lets the others pick the bull they wanted, and also the dousing of water as mentioned before, and my very favorite...the verbal jabs!

          "You'll have to shout louder, for surely he is a god.  Perhaps he is deep in thought, or he is relieving himself.  Or maybe he is away on a trip, or he is asleep and needs to be wakened!"  (1 Kings 18:27 NLT)

I have always been jealous of Elijah.  I wish I could do some miracle and just rip into others teasing them all the way.  But here is what God says to me, "What would you do after that, Mike?"  Back in the story of Elijah, he obviously goes on his way with propheting after all of this, but before he does, he kills the roughly 450 prophets of Baal.  Uh, I guess I am not ready for the responsibilities of the job.  But seriously - it's a cool story!

No comments:

Post a Comment