So Sara and I were reading Ephesians 4 & 5 the other night and I haven't been able to shake Ephesians 5:3-7.
I brought it up at our small group meeting the other night - especially where the scripture related to my working environment. I've been coming home feeling heavy with guilt lately because I keep finding myself falling into the slanderous, biggotted and raunchy talk of the kitchen. The kind of talk that has to be stopped short as soon as a female enters the room. The kind of talk that guys talk - rip on each other in the worst ways possible and laugh together like we're cool. It's been bothering me because I don't want to be that guy anymore.
So...yesterday I got to work and printed out Ephesians 5:3-7 on plain white paper. I highlighted the text and taped it to the reach-in cooler in the kitchen. I told the guys, "Everyone needs to read the new kitchen policy."
The guys read it and only one knew it was scripture. All day & night every time someone cussed, made a lewd joke, or swore at anything, we all pointed to the words on the cooler without saying a word.
It worked! It was amazing how even when I swore out of habit, the guys would point and I would look up and see those words and repent, check myself, and know there was a better way.
Last night after I left, someone tore it down.
So this afternoon when I got to work, I printed it again. I highlighted it again. And I taped it up on the cooler door again. The word of God is over us and I am determined to keep it there. I don't work with believers, but a group of twenty-something punks who don't know better. My words are not enough to change their behavior - and I keep screwing up because I am a sinner too. So - the word of our Lord is now our command and they can't escape it.
"But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person - such a man is an idolater - has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them." Eph 5:3-7
2 comments:
You go brother Todd! I do not take these battles seriously enough, thank you for your example!
thank you for the reminder that I need to be bold with my faith - not sweep it under the rug cause that is eazy
Post a Comment