I was reminded recently of a story.
A newly remarried couple was out looking for a church to attend. They had a seven children between them so finding a place for the kids to connect was very important. They had attended churches without their kids first and were coming back now with the children. They entered the church and brought the kids back to the childrens area. The person behind the counter said " I am sorry but we just don't have room for your children today". Being that this was one of the major things that they were looking for in a church a quick decision was made to leave and realistically probably never come back. Before they could get far from the counter one guy who overheard the interaction said "wait!". He just happened to be in the area and was not volunteering that week. He said there must be something that we could do and offered to stay back there and open up a new room just for these kids. This single act of selflessness and showing of God's love was the reason that this couple stayed that Sunday. This guy did not have to do anything but he answered a nudge and allowed himself to be God's hands and feet. This couple has been at that same church for over 9 years. In fact they are both on staff now and are serving God by leading different ministry areas. There kids have had an opportunity to serve as well as be nurtured and trained through the years.
One act by one guy, one time impacted a family of 9 (10 now) and hopefully the cycle continues through them to impact others.
You just never know how God may use you.... tilling ground, planting a seed, watering or harvesting the crops...
So smile at someone today, hold a door, offer kind words, act when God nudges you.... You may be God's first impression on someone else today... You may never see the ripple effect that God used you to create....
Thank you God!
2 comments:
I think I have about 4 posts today . . . but this post of yours has stopped me in my tracks. I always want to hit the home run for God. Even if I don't want recognition, I want something that feels significant. Thanks for the reminder that God can use ANY little thing to be a BIG thing. I'll stumble out and play my song, take over God.
To GOD be the Glory!
(Somebody find that guy in the Classifieds a ride to Florida already!)
Reminds me also that God asks us to do the "small" things in this life. It's not all about going to Honduras or working in Tent City. I remember a prayer offered up during prayer night once thanking God for someone smiling at them. "Small" things can change peoples' lives!
Ain't that right, Hugh?
Post a Comment