I just got home from a great weekend with a bunch of teenagers. We were up north at a Young Life camp - retreat weekend (Timber Wolf Lake). I also went last year, and was reminded of some of the same realizations I came to a year ago.
#1 - I think we should all be more like teenagers (in some ways). They are extremely passionate people. During every song of our Club meetings, we were either jumping or swaying. The energy and excitement that those kids have for life and for God was amazing, and catching. Why don't I/we act more like that? If we truly believe what we say we believe, then why are we not more excited and "pumped up" about it? Just wondering....
#2 - the main speaker was a guy from "Winning at Home". He was EXCELLENT and hit home with a lot of things that we have been discussing since the courageous movie, as well as overall Pabama. His name is Doug Swink (he has 3 daughters, Dyk). I was standing near him Saturday night and truly felt God nudge my to talk with him. But I froze (my excuse was I didn't know what to say). But God gave me a second chance. I saw him again Sunday morning and said hi. I told him I might be in touch with him. So I checked out the website (http://www.winningathome.com). He has some videos in the top right corner. I don't know what to think about this yet, but I do feel like God is saying, "See, the Pabama Knights are not alone. Use these resources."
#3 - Our kids will be teenagers before we know it (some sooner than others, of course). I am not ready for that yet!
#4 - The last song we sang for the weekend touched me. Of course we were all swaying, but the words hit home. It is my newest favorite! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzfPHnoT0-0
4 comments:
Thank you for being there and allowing God to work through you. Wyatt had a blast! These are the memories that he will carry with him into adulthood and even more importantly it is obvious that God was working there to reach these young people.
As for your observations..... #1-Amen to that!, I want to live out my faith with that kind of excitement. #3- It creeps up so fast. I can't believe that Wyatt will be 16. Based on the stats from church this morning (75% of kids will ditch their faith)..... I am desperate to help him claim this faith as his own.... #4- AWESOME!!!! Wendy and I just listened to it together. He does "Love like a hurricane"........
Sternberg!
Wow what an awesome weekend! I just want to shout out too about Doug Swink. He goes to Central and has been a big part of my daughter's life so far. He has led several of her youth group events and was her soccer coach last year! What a neat guy huh showing his love for Jesus in all he does for the kids! Good idea at using some of the WAH resources in our group! You never know what may come of the paths that God leads us down!!! thanks for sharing!
-Mitchem
"If we truly believe what we say we believe, then why are we not more excited and "pumped up" about it?" - That is the scary question . . .
Sternberg, awesome post! You rock brother!
FYI- Doug Swank was on WJQ 99.3 this morning. He talked about the weekend. He said that he was amazed at the issues that these kids are facing today. Walking up hill both ways to school in a snowstorm pulling your brothers in a wagon was nothing compared to the pressure that these kids are under. He will be hosting the morning show on JQ99 all week next week.
Post a Comment