“Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.” - Luke 3:11
Pabama: (Rhymes with Alabama) Def: A feeling that there is more. A desire to make a difference, to be the hands and feet of Jesus. Not willing to accept the current state of the world, and not wishing to point any fingers. The burning desire to improve, to fall and fail, to be picked up and try again. To prepare ourselves for eternity. To stand triumphant one day, only through Jesus, and hear, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

Monday, November 21, 2011

Tooth Brushing Time??

Our small group is currently studying the book of James using Max Lucado’s Life Lesson’s series workbook. Somewhere in the past we got a copy of the book but never used it. We ordered books for the group but I figured I might as well use the old one; it’s in it’s 33 printing copyright 1996 but when the new books arrived; some chapters had revisions, and additions while taking who sections out. I still thought I could use it but after this week; there are just too many differences now. The catalyst was when I made the comment that; the best part of this week’s lesson was the concept of Addition and Subtraction. And I got (wait for it Scott) crickets… ok; they felt differently this should be some interesting discussion. When we get to that spot the newer version didn’t have it. Here's the section:

“According to Gallup surveys, confirmed by other polls taken over the past fifteen years, 33 percent of aqll Americans over the age of eighteen indicate they are evangelical or “born again” Christians. That translates into 59 Million Christians, or one in every three adults, who experienced a turning point in their lives as they made a personal commitment to Jesus Christ.” (Quotation continues)

“This information should grip us with terror. It means that the greatest revival in history has so far been impotent to change society. It’s revival without reformation. … It’s a change in belief without a corresponding change in behavior…. The American gospel has evolved into a gospel of addition without subtraction. It is the belief that we can add Christ to our lives, but not subtract sin. It is a change in belief without a change in behavior. It is spiritual experience without any cultural impact.” .. The proff of religious conversion is to demonstrate that we have both added a relationship with Christ and that we have subtracted sin (repentance) … And we multiply proof to a weary world by what we do - our deeds, our obedience. What we do must confirm what we say, Our deeds are the proof of our repentance. A changed life is one that has added Christ and subtracted sin, that attracts a world weary of worn-out-words. Obedience is the proof.” How easy it is to ask God to “re-enter” our lives when we’ve slipped- but we don’t take action to remove the “stuff” that has pushed him out. Just like the weight conscious person; who say’s I’m doing good but still haven’t’ lost weight; “I keep track of everything I ate at meal time”, when the truth would be to write down everything they put in their mouth at meal time and in-between.”

Advent is coming; (remember the old song; “Christmas is coming the geese are getting fat’? It’s on the Muppet Christmas CD…)… anyway; advent; a time when we all get busier. Sometimes it’s hard to get it all done because there just isn’t enough time but one part of my problem is in the past I wouldn’t let something else go. I wasn’t using my time wisely. Now; I’m not saying to examine how I spend every second of my life; and I’m not against breaking the agenda / routine to be a blessing to someone (wife; children, friend in need); I have to attack the innocent minutes. What’s a minute? I use to think that too until I didn’t pay attention to my two minute timer on my tooth brush; I told myself “it was just for a busy time” but my hygienist noticed that I had not dedicated myself to two minute brushing. If I didn’t change; I’d have even more fillings which would eventually affect my smile; then everyone could tell… I knew a guy who actually had himself convinced that he could brush poorly but then ten days before his checkup he would brush just a little bit better and he thought he had the hygienist fooled. Are you trying to fool the hygienist or yourself? I read a book to help people who want to write but have a full time job and family responsibilities; in that book; one way to “find the time” was to keep a note pad and jot down your ideas for plot and character…. while you’re standing there brushing your teeth! OK; maybe that’s extreme but Advent’s coming; I urge you to look for those “innocent minutes” in your life and maybe; prayerfully and carefully help someone else who admits they have trouble with time management or discipline; to get their work done, or read the bible. Because this fall I finally admitted I’m one of them; I had to be a subtraction and addition Christian and use the time better. So how are you brushing your teeth?

Cheese


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good word Cheese! I can choose to spend 2 minutes praying for someone today and God's answer to that prayer can change their life forever. Also, the part about adding and subtracting applies to my spiritual and physical life. Pray that we can all do the appropriate math....

Dyk said...

This is one heavy phrase:
"The American gospel has evolved into a gospel of addition without subtraction. It is the belief that we can add Christ to our lives, but not subtract sin. It is a change in belief without a change in behavior. It is spiritual experience without any cultural impact.”
If you take Cheese's Challenge (thank you Cheese!), include me in the prayers, I struggle with time and discipline. Thank you. I want to serve God with all my heart, but my mind keep getting in the way.

Sternberg said...

It definitely is a trendy thing to say that you are a Christian - as long as you don't have to actually DO anything. I feel this urge all the time. Good work Cheesy!

Dyk said...

Cheese:
While you are brushing your teeth, check out Luke 17:7-10. Helps show the relationship we should have with God, not all 'warm and fuzzy'. You don't hear anyone quoting these passages . . .

Post a Comment