“Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.” - Luke 3:11
Pabama: (Rhymes with Alabama) Def: A feeling that there is more. A desire to make a difference, to be the hands and feet of Jesus. Not willing to accept the current state of the world, and not wishing to point any fingers. The burning desire to improve, to fall and fail, to be picked up and try again. To prepare ourselves for eternity. To stand triumphant one day, only through Jesus, and hear, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A challenge - an essential challenge

Everyday I become more and more convinced that the Word of God is something that I need to be reading on a daily basis. I claimed to want to follow God, to know his will, but yet I seldom referenced the written manual he left me! It is an ongoing project, but with the help of you guys I have been able to start down the path of consistent reading. Thank you!

So, in the back of my mind, 'memorization' has been percolating. I have tried in fits and starts to memorize scripture, I even met the memory champion of the US! But, sadly, shaking his hand didn't seem to impart any powers upon me . . . it was still hard work.

Anyway, I read the following this AM.  I highlighted a section below that really spoke to me.  I know how to worry!  I am probably a professional at worrying!  So, read, enjoy, and let me know if you want to join me!  I don't know when the journey will begin or what form it will take, but it's time to start meditating on the scriptures.  Pabama!!!!

Focus on Scripture, not Worries
by Rick Warren

“I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.” (Job 23:12b NIV)
The Bible repeatedly urges us to meditate on who God is, what he has done, and what he has said.

It is impossible to be God’s friend apart from knowing what he says. You can’t love God unless you know him, and you can’t know him without knowing his Word. The Bible says God “revealed himself to Samuel through his word” (1 Samuel 3:21).

God still uses that method today. While you cannot spend all day studying the Bible, you can think about it throughout the day, recalling verses you have read or memorized and mulling them over in your mind.

Meditation is often misunderstood as some difficult, mysterious ritual practiced by isolated monks and mystics. But meditation is simply focused thinking — a skill anyone can learn and use anywhere.

When you think about a problem over and over in your mind, that’s called worry. When you think about God’s Word over and over, that’s meditation. If you know how to worry, you already know how to meditate! You just need to switch your attention from your problems to Bible verses. The more you meditate on God’s Word, the less you will have to worry about.

The reason God considered Job and David his close friends was that they valued his Word above everything else, and they thought about it continually throughout the day. Job admitted, “I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread” (Job 23:12).

When you read your Bible or hear a sermon or listen to a CD, don’t just forget it and walk away. Develop the practice of reviewing the truth in your mind, thinking about it over and over. The more time you spend reviewing what God has said, the more you will understand the “secrets” of this life that most people miss.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dyk - I am in.
Let me know what/when/where/how and let's start filling ourselves up with scripture. I may have to get rid of some "stuff" to make room but I hear that is a good thing.....

Unknown said...

I am in for some meditation - this has been on my heart as well- battle worry about my Dad and life - keep it on God

Dyk said...

Ok, I found my old CDs - 'Write it on your Heart' - about scripture memorization. Contact me if you want to borrow!

Dyk said...

Clausing: ran across this today:

Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Simple Way To Unlock The Bible
by Rick Warren

“Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you.” (Colossians 3:16a NLT)
Studying the Bible in a way that changes your life doesn’t take a bunch of expensive tools. You don’t need commentaries or Bible study software. In fact, if you were stuck on a desert island with just a Bible, you could simply use the method you’ll learn about in this devotional.

Yesterday, I told you how important it was for you to meditate on God’s Word. God says that if we meditate on his Word, we’ll be successful. Here’s a method you can use to meditate on God’s Word in a way that’ll please God.

The “pronounce it” method of biblical meditation is an easy method for meditating on Scripture — and getting every ounce of spiritual nutrition you can out of it.

You start with a verse and read it over and over again. Each time you read the verse, you emphasize a different word. It’s the simplest way to start unlocking Scripture. You can do it even if it’s the first time you’ve ever opened up a Bible. It’s simple but amazingly powerful. Each time you emphasize a different word, you get a different perspective.

Take the first part of Colossians 3:16 for example. The verse says, “Letthe word of Christ richly dwell within you” (NLT).

The first time you read the verse, emphasize the word “let.” “Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you.” What does it mean to let? It means “give permission.” I open the door; it’s my choice. We have to choose to let the Word of God dwell in us richly.

Then, read the verse again and emphasize “word.” “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly.” That means I need to get God’s Word in my mind.

Then, emphasize the third word of the verse, “Christ.” You’re not dwelling on what some philosopher, guru, or talk show host has to say. You’re dwelling on the words of Christ! I don’t want to let the word of the world dwell in me, but I do when I spend my time watching TV instead of reading God’s Word.

Then you focus on the word “dwell.” “Let the Word of Christ dwell within you.” The word “dwell” means “to hang there for a long time.” It’s not rushing through God’s Word so you can get on with the rest of your day. To let the Word of Christ dwell in you is to let it live within you.

Then you stop and emphasize the word “in.” It’s good to have the word of Christ around you. You can put the Word of God on a plaque or a bumper, but it won’t change your life until you let it in your life.

Then focus on the word “you.” The Bible isn’t just God’s Word for your pastor, a seminary professor, or your Sunday School teacher; it’s God word for you! The Bible is instruction for every single believer.

Finally, emphasize the word “richly.” What does that mean? It means the opposite of poorly. In other words, richly means lusciously, extravagantly, and profoundly. God doesn’t want his Word to be a poor substitute in your life. He wants it to create beauty in your life.

See all the great jewels you discovered in this passage just by focusing on one word at a time? You didn’t need a seminary degree or a great library of reference tools. You can do this!

Talk About It

How will you dwell on God’s Word throughout your day?
Does your life reflect the richness of God’s Word and his grace? How would it look different to other people if you allowed God’s Word to make a difference in your life?

Post a Comment