“Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.” - Luke 3:11
Pabama: (Rhymes with Alabama) Def: A feeling that there is more. A desire to make a difference, to be the hands and feet of Jesus. Not willing to accept the current state of the world, and not wishing to point any fingers. The burning desire to improve, to fall and fail, to be picked up and try again. To prepare ourselves for eternity. To stand triumphant one day, only through Jesus, and hear, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Oh Me, Oh My, Oh Nehemiah!

I remember our church youth group doing a skit on Nehemiah (actulally it was a year or so after I was out).  Don't remember much about it, but he must have been a good guy to get the Overisel Reformed RCYF group to do something about it.  I was reminded of that importance today when I read Nehemiah 10. 

The first thing that struck me was the fact that after many years, the people decided (again) to rededicate themselves to God and his commandments.  The wall had just been finished, and the people made a vow to God.  Note the very first sentence of the vow:

          "We promise not to let our daughters marry the pagan people of the land, nor to let our sons marry their daughters."  (verse 30).

First part of the vow was to lead and protect the next generation!

Verse 35 - "we promise to always bring the first part of every harvest to the Lord's Temple."
Verse 37b - "We will bring the best of our flour and other grain offerings, the best of our fruit, and the best of our new wine and olive oil."

So, in this new year, I/We are reminded again - am I keeping the vows I have made to God?  Will I bring Him the "first part of my harvest"?  Will I give Him my best?  And again, am I raising my children in the faith: leading them, teaching them, preparing them to lead families of their own one day?

Thanks for the reminder Nehamiah.  I needed it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And thank you for the reminder Sternberg..... I needed it also.

Dyk said...

Sternberg rocks! The best ... am I giving God my best ... or I am using my best for myself ... Ouch, thanks Sternberger!

Post a Comment